We all love a good dessert, especially if you have a sweet tooth like me. What we don’t love is the weight gain and health issues that come with excess calories sugar and fat, which is why I like to find ways around it. I call this hacking my sweet tooth. I can have my cake and eat it too.. sans all the calories sugar and fat. Yeah Baby! And sometimes even with a kick of protein added (or more than a kick.)
There are literally hundreds of recipes out there to turn a guilty pleasure into a guiltless one. These are just a few of my favorites mainly because they are extremely easy to make, and it still tastes good. There is no need to sacrifice taste when life is so short! haha!
- Arctic Zero or Halo Top (Top Right) I cheat with this one because it is store bought. All the work is done for me. Why I like them: Each pint of “fit frozen dessert” has between 1/4 and 1/2 the calories of normal ice-cream. They use whey protein. Gluten-free, Lactose-free, GMO-free ingredients. No artificial flavors, sweeteners, or colors. You would think with 140 calories per PINT the taste would be sub-par, but in realty it’s quite delicious and you can eat a whole damn pint without feeling like the Michelin Man. I will be teaming up with the company soon for a sweet giveaway so keep an eye on my IG handle!! (@miami_fitness_mom.)
- Protein Brownie with Vanilla Protein Pudding (Top Left) Here is an awesome twist on a protein shake. I use the particular brand Beverly International. Even my 1 year old loves my protein brownie/puddings! This is how I make it: 1 scoop Muscle Provider Chocolate protein powder in a bowl with 3/4 cup water. Stir. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Done. The topping: 1/2 scoop Ultimate Muscle Protein vanilla powder mixed with about 3 TBS cold water. Or just add tiny bits of water until you get the consistency the you prefer. Dump the pudding on top of the brownie and you’ve got yourself a very high protein dessert! *Sometimes I add berries on top*
- Banana Ice-cream (Bottom Left) This is a one ingredient dessert – Banana! The funny thing is, once you make it, it actually tastes like ice-cream! Same consistency too. Take 2 bananas and slice them into pieces and freeze them. When you are ready to make your ice-cream, take the bananas out of the freezer to soften just a bit (up to 10 minutes depending how frozen they are.) Once they are slightly softened, stick them in a blender and blend until it reaches ice-cream consistency. For me, this takes less than a minute, but it might depend on what type of blender you are using. That’s it. Cut a banana, freeze it, and blend it. Both my kids love this “dessert” as well.
- Moist Vanilla Diet Cake (Bottom Right) This one isn’t as healthy as the others, but it’s still a sweet hack. With only 2 ingredients it literally takes less than a minute to prepare. Mix one can of Zevia soda with one package of cake mix (You can use any diet soda if you are only worried about cutting calories. Zevia is made with Stevia- a natural sweetener that has not been proven to cause any harmful side effects like other sweeteners such as chemical based aspartame.) The cake mix you use should be “moist” cake mix for a better turnout. You can use organic brands to be a bit healthier, but I can’t vouch for gluten-free cake mixes as I have never tried that variety with the zevia recipe. Once you combine the 2 ingredients, pour the mixture into a greased cake pan just like you would with any other cake batter. Bake for 45 minutes on 350 or whatever the package states.
- Mango Smoothies (not pictured) Fruit is sweet and nutritious and might just do the trick to curb that sugar craving! I particularly love a good mango smoothie. Check out some awesome recipes here.
Please comment below and let me know what your favorite sweet tooth hacks are! I’d love to hear from you.